Freitag, 27. September 2013

Signs of Autumn, veganized

Dear readers,
today I proudly present to you: My first vegan recipe, developed by myself! I veganized one of my all time favourite, fried parasol mushrooms... You have never heard of parasol mushrooms? They are kind of big, big portobellos, but more fragile. Here's what they look like:



Pretty, aren't they?
When I was a child, every autumn me and my parents went into the woods to collect mushrooms. Chanterelle, Porcinos, whatever edible kind of mushrooms we could find. Oh,I felt so proud whenever I found some especially pretty mushroom!
Those parasol I liked most of all, my mom would turn them into a wonderful kind of mushroom-Schnitzel, with breading and all, I loved it!
My father still goes into the woods, he just cannot wait for the colder nights and misty mornings of autumn. As soon as it "starts to smell like mushrooms" (so he says) he would be gone for hours, returning with a basket full of wonderfull mushrooms. I guess he could find mushrooms everywhere, that is one of his many talents.
So, imagine my delight when he called me this afternoon and asked me if I wanted some parasol. Of course I wanted them, especially delivered to my door. Best Dad ever!
Then I had a kind of discussion with myself. For the breading, usually I used eggs and breadcrumbs. Egg? Not vegan! So I decided to use the breading for onion rings that can be found in Isa Chandra Moskowitz' book "Appetite for Reduction". Here's the recipe:

-8 parasol mushrooms, the long stems removed

-1/2 cup of flour
-2 tablespoons corn starch
-1 cup soy milk
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-1 cup of breadcrumbs,

Mix the flour with the starch and part of the milk, stir, then add the rest of the milk and the vinegar, stir to dissolve. I added a bit of water, too.


Dip mushrooms in the flour mixture, then in the breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in  a big frying pan and fry the mushrooms over medium heat until they are golden brown. Put them on kitchen paper to get rid of some of the fat.



Sprinkle with salt and pepper, serve with lemon and soyghurt, mixed with herbs and salt and garlic. Soooo good!




So, autumn is finally here, mushrooms are back in the kitchen. Thank you Dad! See, your parasol are on the internet, das hättest Du nicht gedacht...Die sehen toll aus, oder??

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen